handcuffed person

How to Get a Felony Conviction Reduced to a Misdemeanor

Many people have felony convictions on their record and want to know how to get them reduced to misdemeanors. This task is essential because a felony conviction can limit your ability to get a job, housing, or credit. The bad news is that it’s not always possible. The good news is that it is sometimes possible, and the process is usually not too complicated. Here’s what you need to know about reducing a felony conviction to a misdemeanor.

Eligibility for Reduction

First, you need to know that not all felonies can be reduced to misdemeanors. In general, only “wobblers” can be reduced. Wobblers are crimes that can be charged as either felonies or misdemeanors, depending on the circumstances of the case and the criminal history of the accused. Some examples of wobblers include petty theft, battery, and DUI. But even if your crime is a wobbler, you might not be eligible for a reduction.

Depending on the state, other felony convictions may be eligible for reduction. For example, California can reduce any “strike” felony to a misdemeanor if the person has no prior strikes on their record and they complete a drug treatment program. This is just one example, so check the laws in your state.

The Process for Reduction

If you have a wobbler on your record and want to reduce it to a misdemeanor, the process is relatively straightforward. The first step is to file a petition with the court that sentenced you originally. This petition will ask the court to reconsider your sentence and reduce your felony charge to a misdemeanor. Some states require that you wait a certain amount of time before you can file this petition – typically one to five years.

If the court grants your petition, you will be resentenced and have a misdemeanor on your record instead of a felony. This can make a big difference in your life, as misdemeanors are not as serious as felonies and do not carry the same weight on your record. But it’s important to remember that even if your felony is reduced to a misdemeanor, it will still appear on your criminal record.

A male lawyer with arms crossed while standing in front of law books on a shelf

An Expert Attorney

A criminal defense attorney can help you determine if you are eligible for a reduction and guide you through the process. They usually have a good understanding of the law in your state and can help you navigate the complicated legal system. If you want to reduce a felony on your record, you should contact an attorney for help.

It is crucial also to hire an experienced expungement lawyer to assist you in your petition for dismissal. They will know how to navigate the court system and present your case in the best possible light. They will also be able to help you if your petition is denied and you need to appeal the decision. Look for an attorney with experience in your state’s laws and procedures, as they will be able to provide the best guidance.

Some Things to Consider

You will typically have to appear in court for a hearing on your petition. At this hearing, you will have an opportunity to explain why you believe your sentence should be reduced and present any evidence supporting your position. The prosecutor will also have a chance to argue against your request for reduction. After hearing from both sides, the judge will decide whether to grant your request.

One important thing to remember is that even if your request for sentence reduction is granted, you will still have a criminal record. Your conviction will appear on background checks and could impact your ability to get a job or housing. If you are considering reducing your sentence, it’s essential to speak with an attorney to weigh the pros and cons of your case.

If you have a felony conviction on your record, you may be wondering if there’s any way to get it reduced to a misdemeanor. The answer is that it depends—not all felonies can be reduced, but some can if you follow the correct process. If you’re hoping to get your sentence reduced, the first step is to file a petition with the court that sentenced you originally and explain why you believe a reduction is warranted.

You’ll then have a hearing where both sides will present their arguments, and the judge will decide whether or not they will grant reduction. Even if the reduction is given, it’s crucial to remember that this doesn’t erase your criminal record—the conviction will still show up on background checks moving forward. Always speak with an attorney before taking any legal action.

The Author

Scroll to Top